About Oliver Chapman
Oliver has APIL senior litigator status and works in Thomson Snell & Passmore LLP’s clinical negligence and personal injury team. The department is consistently highly rated in Chambers UK and the Legal 500.
His clinical negligence experience involves a wide range of areas including general practice, obstetrics, gynaecology, neonatology, orthopaedic and spinal surgery, urology, nephrology, general surgery, ophthalmology, accident and emergency, care of the elderly, dentistry and nursing.
His personal injury work includes all aspects of occupiers' and employers' liability, road traffic accidents, highway, sports injury and Animals Act cases and harassment in the workplace. A number of his clients have suffered brain, multiple orthopaedic and psychiatric injuries.
Oliver is part of the firm’s asbestos and chemical poisoning team and specialises in mesothelioma claim.
Client stories & examples of work
- Following a three day High Court trial, Oliver successfully established that BT was primarily liable for the injuries sustained by Mr Milroy when, during the course of his employment, his head came into contact with an overhead high voltage power line (Ian Andrew Milroy (a protected party by his litigation friend Sharon Maria Milroy) -v- BT plc  EWHC 532 (QB)). The case subsequently settled for £1.1m following a reduction of one-third allowing for Mr Milroy’s contributory negligence (£1.65m on a full liability basis).
- £275,000 for a retired instrument mechanic who developed mesothelioma having been exposed to asbestos whilst working at a Maidstone paper mill.
- £80,000 for a claimant who suffered a major blood vessel injury during a routine laparoscopy for endometriosis.
- £100,000 for a passenger in a road traffic accident which resulted in multiple orthopaedic injuries, PTSD and depression.
- £85,000 for a claimant who suffered facial scarring and psychiatric injuries when he was attacked by a golden retriever dog.
Achievements & other appointments
In addition to attaining APIL senior litigator status, Oliver is an accredited member of the Law Society’s personal injury scheme.
Oliver obtained an honours degree in history from the University of Sheffield before completing the Graduate Diploma in Law and the Legal Practice Course. Before joining Thomson Snell & Passmore in 2007, Oliver spent several years working as a carer for both children and adults with special needs.