Association of Personal Injury Lawyers
A not-for-profit organisation representing injured people

Dealing with sub-standard treatment in hospitals

Dealing with sub-standard treatment in hospitals
An adverse medical incident is where avoidable harm has been caused as a result of treatment or failure to treat appropriately.

Undergoing any medical treatment can be a worrying time for us all. If you feel you have been injured as a result of medical negligence, you have the right to complain and may have the right to redress.

  • Talk again to your doctor/consultant – ask for an explanation of what has happened to you and why.
  • Make contact with the Patients Advisory Liaison Service (PALS). You will be offered a spokesperson to help you deal with your worries and concerns.
  • Seek legal advice. Specialist solicitors will guide you through the process for dealing with your complaint. They will work with you to resolve matters and obtain further care and treatment for you, if needed. Look out for the quality mark.
  • Further support may be available from support groups linked to your local hospital.
  • Independent charities also offer help and support.

Find a clinical negligence lawyer