Lawyers have welcomed a promise from their regulator that the ban on solicitors’ cold calling for personal injury will not be lifted.
A spokesman from the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) said in The Brief today (Friday) that: "We have no intention of lifting the ban for solicitors working in personal injury and will make that clear in the final codes."
Concerns were raised earlier this week about removal of the existing rule preventing solicitors from making unsolicited calls from the draft version of the SRA’s new ‘simplified’ handbook.
“This is very good news indeed,” said APIL president Neil Sugarman. “I am delighted that the SRA has listened to concerns, because it’s really important that we do as much as we can to get rid of the scourge of cold calling for personal injury.”