A detailed knowledge of the rules and cases relating to the summary assessment of costs is essential to every litigator.
This webinar looks at rules in detail and the practical steps that practitioners should take to maximise recovery including:
- When a summary assessment should be made
- When the receiving party is represented under a conditional fee agreement
- Where the receiving or paying party is a child or protected person
- The importance of the statement of costs
- The court’s approach to costs
- The basis of assessment
- Hourly rates
- General principles applied in summary assessment
- Litigants in person
- The significance of the guideline figures for hourly rates
- In-house lawyers
- The solicitor advocate
- Counsel’s brief fee
- Expenses that are not recoverable
- Fast track trial costs
- Summary assessment and the cost of appeals
The webinar also looks at those cases where the courts have provided guidance for parties undertaking a summary assessment. What happens when time is short or the Schedule is served late?
Live or on-demand
We encourage all attendees to watch the webinar live - this gives people the opportunity to ask questions and participate in polls.
All people registered for the webinar will automatically be emailed details to view the online recording following the webinar, whether you view live or not. Recordings are available to view for up to six months.