"***Book both the advanced brain injury and spinal cord injury conferences and receive a discount of £50 + VAT***"
APIL's 2021 advanced brain injury conference will be taking place on a fully virtual platform and we are delighted to bring this packed programme directly to your homes and work spaces!
This packed one-day conference will take place live on Thursday, 1 July and delegates will be able to view the sessions, via Zoom, on APIL's dedicated conference app. Recordings of the sessions will also be available to view, on-demand, for six months after the live event.
Please note that registrations are for individual delegates only. Delegates will be sent a personal unique link which must not be shared.
Topics will include:*
Keynote address: A view from the bench
- Speaker: Deputy Master Amanda Stevens, Queen’s Bench Division of the High Court
Life after injury: A 30 year aftermath of a major injury claim
- Speaker: Richard Barr, APIL EC Member, Scott-Moncrieff & Associates Ltd, Norwich
Rehab and collaborative working
- Working with insurers
- How rehab can be made to work better
- Speaker: Gerard Martin QC, Exchange Chambers, Liverpool
- Speaker: Shahram Sharghy, Barrister, 9 Gough Chambers, London
Nature or nurture
- Pre-existing issues
- What was the injury?
- Pre-accident problems that individuals or families have to deal with
- Proving your case
- Behavioural issues
- Speaker: Dr Thomas Elanjithara, Consultant Adult Psychiatrist, Brain Injury Rehabilitation Trust, Ossett
COP/Public law update - welfare
- Common mental capacity issues in brain injury cases
- Vulnerability/deprivation of liberty
- Contact/sexual relations
- Speaker: Aswini Weereratne QC, Doughy Street Chambers, London
COP/Public law update - finance
- Mental capacity
- Financial affairs
- Statutory funding/duties
- Direct payments
- Speaker: Yogi Amin, Irwin Mitchell LLP, Sheffield
Panel session: Traumatic brain injuries - the issues
- Practical guidance covering:
- mild to moderate injuries
- moderate to severe injuries
- organic injuries
- Chaired by: Andrew Ritchie QC, 9 Gough Chambers, London
- Panellists: Dr Janet Grace, Neuropyschiatrist, Janet Grace Neuropsychiatry, London
- Dr Ruth Kent, Consultant and Senior Lecturer in Neurological Rehabilitation, Pinderfields General Hospital, Wakefield
- Dr Gaby Parker, Consultant Clinical Neuropsychologist, Central London Community Healthcare NHS Trust, London
- PD1A vulnerable parties and witnesses
- Impact of CPR changes on case management and budgeting in brain injury cases
- Getting it right first time before the Master or DJ
- Speakers: Richard Crabtree, Co-ordinator of APIL's Brain Injury SIG, Slater & Gordon Lawyers, Manchester
- Matthew Stockwell, Past APIL President, Barrister, Exchange Chambers, Liverpool
*Topics and speakers may be subject to change
***To receive the multi-conference discount, please add both events to your online basket and the discount will be automatically applied at the check-out. The discount will only apply to delegates who are attending both events.